Blue Sunset

The Martian sunset's really something to see. The pale pinks of the barren landscape tinged blue by the setting sun is so alien, so beautifil.

But is it worth it? To lose so many other sights, sounds and experiences. I don't know.

A few years ago I was convinced it wasn't. That's a horrible feeling, I tell ya. Being convinced that you'd made the wrong decision. I mean there was no going back, not after four years in Martian gravity.

I miss the cold. It's never cold here ... It's always sort of alright, you know? Atmospheric conditioning and all.

I miss warming up with a cup of soup by the fire. I could probably count the times that I did that on one of my hands. But knowing I'll never be able to experience that again - no matter what - makes me miss it like nothing else.

We're kind of celebrities back on Earth. Not that it means anything out here ..

Mom's told me I'm quite a hit in the papers, they see me as a bit of a rebel. I started smoking weed, see. One of the first wave lot had sneaked over some seeds and started growing them. No one really minded. Heck, what else are we supposed to do all day long?

It kills the boredom. And there's nothing nicer than having for a joint up top of the hill, looking over the vast plains.

Oh, and the stars here are incredible, though you need a torch if you're wandering around outside at night! It's surprisingly dark without the Moon or some far off city lighting up the sky.

I guess, all in all it's not a bad life. There isn't much work involved really; a few hours of fiddling on a computer every two days and that's it.

I came out here with my girlfriend. That was a rule - couples only. I don't think they thought that one through properly - a small habitation pod on Mars isn't exacthe best place to foster a healthy relationship.

So yeah, we're all looking forward to 2091, that's that date of the next landing. Over a hundred people are coming. And the best bit? Most of them are single!

But there are some murmurings. Six years is a long time, and the political situation back on Earth isn't looking great.

That's the biggest fear, being left in the dark.

But hey. I've dealt with the consequences of my choice - I'm going to live and die on this planet now whatever. Once I'd accepted that it became a lot easier to bare. Everyone's really chilled to be honest, even though it's a bit awkward with all the ex's. It's pretty common to all spontaneously go out and play frisbee for a few hours. That's a nice feeling. The frisbee flies super far, and you can jump a fair few feet in the air.

You need to be careful though, if you tear through the layers of your suit you're gonna die. We all knew that from day dot, but for all the words of caution it took a fatal accident to really hammer it in. God - you do not want to see a man die like that.

Another nice thing is the solitude. Not the solitude of a forest, or an empty country house,

Some nights I wake up in my little pod, quench my thirst, put my suit on and just go on a nice long drive with the buggy. It's perfect because it's electric, so you're not waking anyone up. I just drive in that buggy, feeling the wind fighting against me.

Never on my skin though. That's another thing I miss actually; the feel of wind and sun on my naked feet. And the sea.

But yeah, in the Summer I drive out into the deep blue dusk. I feel alive on those buggy rides. Sometimes I drive hundreds of kilometers. And you know what I see? Nothing.

Nothing but vast empty landscapes of deep red. Huge dunes of soft iron sand, giant basins with river like fissures running through them. All highlighted by a deep blue Sun.

Yeah, living on Mars is alright.